Iron Man Strategies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibaholic

I'm playing my first Iron Man character. After dying at level 1 in my first attempt and 2 in my second, I'm on a better groove and level 8 now. It's getting easier because as the hit points go up the fights become more predictable. But I am wondering what some people do for Iron Man?

• Do quests/dungeons a level or two later?
  • Refresh a bit earlier?
  • Adopting a slightly more conservative playstyle. Fighting in doors more often and hanging out near groups to draw off single a bit more?
  • I've always preferred shield warriors,
  • I've got a potion of speed and a scroll of recall in my quick slots. I've never done that before. I'm leaning towards the potion of speed, because you have to take a beating for a second or two when recalling. Possibly the plan is to run away, then recall.
  • Obviously when you can get diamonds, the Ankh of Life is given. It almost turns Iron Man back into hard.
  • I can afford greater healing potions but I'm carrying Moderate Healing potions because of the red and blue orchids. As I write this I now realize that I should sell them and switch to Greater Healing. I don't want to risk taking more than 60 HP of damage in three seconds.
  • I've never farmed Potions of Restoration, but this go around I'll probably do that. Also look for Town Hall quests with those potions as a reward.

Edit: This thread has good advice.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Jibaholic":1vfgzwkf said:
I've always preferred shield warriors,

I never managed the iron man mode, but the best survivor is a cleric in a warrior guild. Intervention is really helpful not to die.

Good luck solving that difficulty :)

Jibaholic

p4ran0id":32243cs6 said:
Jibaholic":32243cs6 said:
I've always preferred shield warriors,

I never managed the iron man mode, but the best survivor is a cleric in a warrior guild. Intervention is really helpful not to die.

Good luck solving that difficulty :)

Cleric in Warrior Guild was my original plan, but I've got one like that on Hard and by the end game, the lack of fighting ability starts to hurt. I've had too many fights were I blow through a half-dozen potions of mana. I think there is something to the survivability though, there are very few enemies would could put out 280/320 damage in three seconds.

BOSTACH

Meh... Grind till you have 19k gold then go to weaponsmith löe to buy an amazing axe...

VDX_360

Staff member
Don't die. Pretty much it.

Traps can be problematic for warriors on Iron Man, especially if you're keeping your health low to trigger Fury.

For 1-H Warriors:
Infantry Training, Battle Rage and Flurry are useful.
Duel is a near must.

We cab debate build ideas for days but use the build that won't die and can deal enough damage to actually kill enemies.

Really, Iron Man uses the same good combat tactics as any other play through. It just greatly increases the penalty for pushing too far.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
Jibaholic":3qj3aq7b said:
Obviously when you can get diamonds, the Ankh of Life is given. It almost turns Iron Man back into hard.

That's the main reason it was added, to give ironman players that got that far one chance for a mistake. But don't get too cocky with it or you'll lose it in some stupid way, I'm speaking from experience :)

Also good luck with trying to beat the game as ironman! I never managed it myself. I tried it but always died in some stupid way at the higher levels. Just never let your guard down and heal and run when you feel like trouble is coming. It's better to be a coward and live another day then to be brave and die.

Grim Rapper

Jibaholic":2x69erum said:
[*]I can afford greater healing potions but I'm carrying Moderate Healing potions because of the red and blue orchids. As I write this I now realize that I should sell them and switch to Greater Healing. I don't want to risk taking more than 60 HP of damage in three seconds.

In my opinion, you should stack both potions in your inventory instead of selling the weaker potion, because you can use the Greater Potion to heal when you're tanking some enemies and you can use the Moderate Potions to heal when you're not being attacked by them. This way you can keep your survival chance even in a hard dungeon for the sake of EXP farming (Even I stack up until 4 type of potions until I got ransacked by the dinosaur-like enemies at level 15 Ironman Diff :sad_face: )

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
Fact: A level three goblin gives 14 xp when playing without a companion.
Fact: A level three goblin cannot kill you unless you're stupid like me .
Fact: It will take you exactly 171428.571429 level three goblins to reach level 25.
Fact: Assuming you kill five goblins per minute, it will take you exactly 571.428571429 hours to beat the game.
Fact: It took me approximately eight months to beat Iron Man.

Conclusion: Killing goblins is more efficient than killing dragons.

Edit: People keep referring to something called "having fun". Could someone please explain this term to me? I am unfamiliar with it.

VDX_360

Staff member
Keep in mind the diference between level of the player and the enemy killed impacts XP. Outrank that Level 3 goblin by a few levels and you basically get zip for XP.

Grim Rapper

Zalvarez0627":w2ygrvhf said:
People keep referring to something called "having fun". Could someone please explain this term to me? I am unfamiliar with it.
ResidentSleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.