Better Safe than Sorry: Preparing for the Sewer of Horrors

Dark Mage Ascended

Just need to complete the Sewer of Horrors quest to beat the game and get started on my Warrior playthrough, but before I jump in and get stranded, I hoped to ask you for advice.
I have a stack of 65 medipacks ready to go, plus a couple of Circles of Restoration scrolls. I can summon level 15 Iron Golems, I have the Magma Greatstaff for the Blue mages and their ice elementals, and im currently hunting for liches to get a First Winter for the Red Mages. Right now, I have 43 fire resistance. In the Sewers, I'll use the Staff of Wonders for the Undead and the Staff of Dead Kings for the Carrion. I have no intention of defeating the demons in the Elemental Plane of Fire in this run. I'll just run pass them.
Is there any improvement I should do before jumping into this? Maybe get more medipacks to be safe, or perhaps there are better weapons available? I'm equally skilled with wands and staves.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I'd say, resistance rings for death and toxic can help a lot in the first floor. Some fire and ice resist gear too, if you can afford the room.

Dark Mage Ascended

Damnation, I forgot about the toxic! Thanks, I'll carry the trollskin cap to be safe. Got 56 Death resistance, so I should be ok.
Also got myself a pair of Automated gloves for that sweet ranged damage.

Lolerescut

Dark Mage Ascended":3k7rnnh1 said:
Damnation, I forgot about the toxic! Thanks, I'll carry the trollskin cap to be safe. Got 56 Death resistance, so I should be ok.
Also got myself a pair of Automated gloves for that sweet ranged damage.
43 fire resistance is not enough at all since your a mage your probably squishy get mage barrier to max the 25 to resistances are a great push sorry but the golen isnt gonna be useful at 15 get him to 18 and he will be dying a lot prepare a lots of mana pots try to get some apple for restoration pots since its ur first time to go ro sewer as far as i ubderstood from you its better to save another save so if you failed you can load up and prepare better

Dark Mage Ascended

What would be enough fire resistance?

"Squishy"? I have END 5, 300 hit points. It's not exactly berserker tough, but I can take damage.

Argarath

On fire elemental plane, you will need as high fire resistance as possible. Take the Flame Prophet Amulet and Greater Fire Resistance rings. You will find another ring as soon as you enter the fire plane. Bring greater fire resistance potions can help too

Dark Mage Ascended

Argarath":3pvpfpvr said:
On fire elemental plane, you will need as high fire resistance as possible. Take the Flame Prophet Amulet and Greater Fire Resistance rings. You will find another ring as soon as you enter the fire plane. Bring greater fire resistance potions can help too

Sadly, I do not have the Flame Prophet Amulet.
It's a funny story, I'll tell you someday.
I do have a great ring of flames, tho, that could help.

Lolerescut

Sorry but even your iron golem is squishy against the upper and lower level i recommend getting the fire element for the elemental plane trust me he is a great tank in there
And yes 300 hp is like 6 to 8 hits from enemies ofcourse without considering resistance now you night want to get a greater ice resist ring or two if you got space just in case
Everythinb is buffed down there and make sure you got a good physical hit wep it will be helpful

Dark Mage Ascended

Wow! That was tough. But I did it!
Entered the sewer with my Staff of Wonders, Grisseda had the Paladin's Longsword. Only then I checked, my fire resist was even lower than I thought! 33, not 43, because I had changed some gear before. Nevertheless, went on.
Merzadan the Undying was really tough to beat. He knocked out Grissenda while still having half health, but two os his healing spells had already been used. Thankfully, we were both ranged, so I could dodge his attacks and wear down his defenses little by little. Took some time and a couple of medipacks, but I did it.
The carrion area was a breeze, actually. They have no death resist and the Staff of Dead King dishes out pure death damage, so I did quick work of the place. The Carrion Lord was probably the easiest boss in the quest.
The toxic area was a challenge, the animated wastes kept blocking the way (thanks for the reminder of bringing toxic resist gear again, probably saved me), but with the trollskin cap I survived long enough to push all the levers and get out.
The Icemist Underlevels were challenging, but the Sewer was way worse. With Breno and Grissenda working together, my Magma Greatstaff wrecked the Ice Elementals (double the normal damage) anrthe insane wizards were defenseless after that. The only real problem here were the Ancient Golems to the south, had to fight them 1 at a time so save health and mana.
Instead of hunting for the First Winter, I just took the crystallized wand I saw in the wiki. The Fire Elementals were puny and the insane wizards were a bit tougher, but I got through.
The Red Dragons took a recovery to beat, but I killed both. The demons had no chance.
Saradan was really tough in comparison to the others. The wiki says he's actually weaker against death than Ice, so the Dead Kings Staff helped a lot. After I beat them all, I went back to the bed and got some sleep. Felt pretty optimistic.
Learned the Red Dragons respawned. Felt devastated.
Made my way back and jumped into the portal.
Immediately ran to the nearest chest, got Greater Fire Resist potions and another ring of flames. Activated the mage armor, plus a potion, plus the two rings, went from 33 to 153 fire resistance! Easily dashed my way across the lava river and sneaked past the elementals. Almost died to the Lord of the Pit (stupid demon blocked my way), and at long last, I emerged victorious in Deepfrost!

Death Count:
Sewer: 5 times
Underlevels: 2 times
Elemental plane of Fire: 0 times

Thanks again for all the advice, and for not allowing me to die as an old madman stuck in the Underlevels. But in all fairness, I'd totally brcome the leader of the Red Mages if I did.