Is Melee Rogue difficult at high levels ?

vpy

I have been dabbling with this game for sometime.
I did indeed try out all possible combos of classes till level 5.

I have settled and am liking the playstyle of melee rogue.
Especially I am loving that flank skill.
I let my companion (the one you get for 150g) get aggro and go back/flank attack the mobs..lol

Having said that, do rogues get difficult to play as they level up ??
I am a casual (playing at the least difficulty) who is interested in completing the story/quests and nothing else.

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
I haven't tried a rogue yet, but I've heard that melee rogues get much harder later in the game. You won't be able to match the raw DPS of warriors, deal with swarms, or take a bunch of damage while your companion deals it out. A bow rogue might be easier, but it totally depends on your playstyle--melee rogues can and have beaten the game.

Also, in general, companions for hire aren't worth it. Do A Warrior's Honor and get Grissenda if you haven't already. The companions for hire are soft and don't do much damage, so one enthusiastic orc can kill them. Once you get Hirge, who can heal, you can flank enemies forever because she'll stay alive for a while.

Bans1x

Dont hire merceneries they die and are gone forever you are just wasting money isntead go to the left of lannegar valley go right until you find a settlement and you will find an npc by the name of grissenda i think you have to have personality 1 and tell her that its not all lost or something like and that you will bring her that ring she wants you go in go to the top left of the map until you find a ghost and behind him will be a corpse containing the ring go back and give it to her dont keep it for yourself its not worth because thats the only chance you get at having her as a companion after that you can take her in and when she dies she revives after a few seconds and you can equip with gear of your liking and give her skills and traits like your own little npc grissenda is great for a rogue because grissenda is a warrior and when i play as a rogue with grissenda i give her shield expert i max that out and then i max resilience for her and try to give her as much endurance as you can

And as for rogue skills and what to get i would recommend going into new garand sewers and completing the welcome to the house quest you can find more about that on the wiki because when you join the seventh house at freetown you can get flurry but only when you have 6 agility its pretty easy to get i got 6 agility at level 9 flurry boosts your dps like crazy and also assasinate from new garand sewers which has a chance to instantly reset the cd of stab so its amazing for damage too i also like having atleast one skill point in sprint and maxing out evasion so if you are fighting a boss use flurry and evasion do as much damage as you can and when evasion ends run away kite him and while you are doing that regen some hp with pots after evasion has reset use the same combo and then again and again until the boss dies

What gear to get i guess i can tell you some names but go find them on the wiki on how to get them my fingers are hurting xd

Ok so get these weapons:Icicle (can get a better version named primal icicle) Stiletto, Devourer sting(good for paralysis I), Troll cleaver, Sonnet as for fire and shock damage the rogue doesnt have anything good for that is one of his big minuses i like having Sword of magma or what was the name its pretty good i guess and for shock damage you will find a dagger for that later at one of the main quests it will help alot try not to spoil the main quest for yourself while you are browsing the wiki i guess thats all the help i can give you good luck and hope you like the game as much as i do! :D

Cuckoorex

Zalvarez0627":8yddxezy said:
I haven't tried a rogue yet, but I've heard that melee rogues get much harder later in the game. You won't be able to match the raw DPS of warriors, deal with swarms, or take a bunch of damage while your companion deals it out. A bow rogue might be easier, but it totally depends on your playstyle--melee rogues can and have beaten the game.

Also, in general, companions for hire aren't worth it. Do A Warrior's Honor and get Grissenda if you haven't already. The companions for hire are soft and don't do much damage, so one enthusiastic orc can kill them. Once you get Hirge, who can heal, you can flank enemies forever because she'll stay alive for a while.

I almost totally disagree with this. Depends on your build. If you have Stab, Flurry, Evasion (very important), Precision Strikes, and Massive Criticals your DPS will be among the HIGHEST possible and you can get through almost anything with minimal damage. Rogue was easiest for me on the Ark AND the Sewer of Horrors. I think it's the easiest of all the classes. Just get your Agility high enough to get Flurry (6) and you'll be kicking serious butt. I have a lvl 26 Rogue that can pretty much waltz through anything with no problem (I also built him as an archer, so Archery and Precision shots are maxed, and with the Ion Recurve I barely EVER get hit) but now that I'm revisiting my lvl 25 Warrior he's having a MUCH harder time than the Rogue. Rogue with Flurry and Evasion almost doesn't need Healing potions or Hirge if you play it right.

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
You're probably right. Like I said, I haven't tried a rogue yet, that's just the impression I got from others. I'll stick with my 20 DPS 1h cleric.

Cuckoorex

Zalvarez0627":2lkqp3t3 said:
You're probably right. Like I said, I haven't tried a rogue yet, that's just the impression I got from others. I'll stick with my 20 DPS 1h cleric.

Hey, if that works for you, go for it. My rogue gets 99.7 DPS when Flurry is active and I'm armed with Queen's Heart and Dirk of Betrayal. Jumps up to over 247 DPS with Stab active (though that's misleading, because unless you luck out with continual Assasinates kicking it, that's based on a one-time hit.) When I activate Flurry AND maxed-out Evasion, I can take out almost anything without trouble. Warrior, not so much. He's got better armor and single-hit damage (and he has Flurry, too) but no Evasion, so he still needs Hirge and/or healing potions for bosses. My Cleric? I gave up on her at level 18 so far. My least favorite class. My Mage does some decent damage but the main strength of that build is maxed out Earth Elemental and Maxed out Summoner, so I get a lvl 18 Iron Golem that pretty much tanks like crazy. With that summoned creature, it almost doesn't matter what human companion I use. I rarely take any hits unless it's environmental damage.

Terantatek

My Melee Rogue is lvl 20 and I dont have issues. It's all about your build and equipment. Plus a little poke and run :p

But no, it's not more difficult at higher levels. At least for me. It was more difficult when I was a lower level because I didn't have all my good skills. Flurry, Massive Criticals, Precision Strike and Assassinate at max skill level makes your Rogue a Rogue to be feared.

Might not be as near perfect as a 2h Warrior but you will do stuff more than fine enough if you build correctly.