Durability testing a Cleric

VDX_360

Staff member
Based on a forum user's concerns the Cleric couldn't beat the Arc, I tried to recreate some challenges the user was having.

First, Clerics not only beat the arc but have the low level records for doing so. This stress test is more for recreational purposes than fact-finding. EDIT Note: Everything was done on HARD.

Second, a lot of the challenges the player was having were self-imposed like running into a room to fight every one at once or not using shock resistance equipment.

But, hey, just to see if a Cleric could brute out a few fights in the arc:

A Level 18 Cleric entering with pre-arc equipment was able to clear the arc in one go (all of it, including the ending). Involved resting in the arc with batteries found in the arc.

A Level 18 Cleric with pre-arc equipment was able to beat TWO wizards and THREE spiders, with Radiation balls AT THE SAME TIME.

A Level 18 Cleric with pre-arc equipment was able to beat ONE Wizard and THREE spiders WITH TAKING ALL THE FIRE DAMAGE at the same time.

A Level 18 Cleric with arc equipment (but not using batteries for the emp) was able to take on the Battle Droid and all the spiders in the room at the same time. With batteries the same all-at-once fight is alot easier.

Obviously, the last three above are not examples of ideal combat tactics. But picking a large fight helps stress test the Cleric.

The cleric is a very durable class capable of surviving some insane onslaughts and capable of doing some pretty solid damage.

Owns

Loreseeker
That's insane, thanks for sharing. For reference, what difficulty was this?

VDX_360

Staff member
I edited the first post to include the stress run was done on HARD. I rarely play normal or causal. For further clarity, none of the above stress tests group fights involved using batteries for EMP blasts, which make the arc a lot easier. Batteries were used as needed for clearing the arc in one go.

My build was a well rounded Cleric designed for the peaceful ending ( a common build) with the only real deviation is investing in getting both Extra Recoveries (for a total of 4). That allows a Cleric to be mana crazy.

The nice thing about the Arc is that the two common enemies are predictable. Spiders hit fast and hard with physical damage, but can easily be lured to take one or two at a time. Wizards deal heavy bolt damage but a player can easily get above 110 bolt resistance (not counting potions) making the damage 8 or 9 per attack.

Luring arc enemies away from groups makes the area a lot easier. Also, note that spiders chase farther than Wizards, good to keep in mind when trying to split groups (take advantage of that line-of-sight AI).

For the stress-test fights, Battle Rage and Flames of Faith can turn the tide. Arebenos' Might gives a nice low-cost damage boost. The fire damage is moot against robots but the physical aspects stays.

For more tactical fights, saving mana to heal is better. A decent Cleric build can take on a lone spider without having to heal until after the fight or once during the fight. Wizards may take a few heals. But with two extra recoveries, that's a lot of mana to use on healing.

M4K51MU5

Thanks for the info, currently my cleric is lvl 20 difficulty hard, day 118 I can enter arc already, but want to first get as many pots from corrupted minotours as I can, goal get arc done before day 180 on difficulty hard. I'm low on money atm but, once get enough going to buy fire resistance skill, shock resistance and some melee skill, and reset then. Since my cleric build for undead enemies, I have hard time even with corrupted minotours lol.