Having difficulty with mage class

Ptehnik

mb make a separate forum thread for each class?
and got a question about mage...
its really difficult to level up mage, using any of the basic attacking skills..
anyone try this build?
i chose lightning and my ass burnt out :mrgreen:

//added
play on hard only

Mod Note: Edited tittle to better reflect primary question of thread.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Re: how about threads for each class

Won't help...

There is one thread to present your character, that's enough.

The difference isn't only between classes, each build and gameplay is to different to categorize. Also each player is different and so on.

Also a mage player can help a warrior player with some questions and so on.

Last but not least, most forum users don't use given threads, they open an own one with their specific question/build/class

Owns

Loreseeker
Re: how about threads for each class

Ptehnik":2wfm4her said:
mb make a separate forum thread for each class?
I actually agree this would be a good idea and it won't stop people who have experience with multiple classes to comment on any thread. But I understand if it might be too many 'sticky' threads.
Ptehnik":2wfm4her said:
and got a question about mage...
its really difficult to level up mage, using any of the basic attacking skills..
anyone try this build?
i chose lightning and my ass burnt out :mrgreen:
Mage can be tough at first. I wouldn't suggest starting with Lightning because it costs the most mana and you start with very little. I would start with either Ice Storm or one the weapon masteries (wand or staff). If you want to build a summoner build get the Summon spell at Lvl 2 to help you out, otherwise get Mage Armor + whichever you didn't choose from above. I'm almost done writing and posting guide for mage build with a focus on spell casting, so keep an eye out for that. But there is plenty of good info already in the build advancement thread. You can use the search box and just search for mage as well. Here is a good post on a mage build with tips.

VDX_360

Staff member
The in-game text for the Mage class describes the class vulnerable at first and eventually powerful. The "vulnerable" is a warning label. Expect you mages to be squishy, and easily killed in the early game. Either play with a lot of skill (and previous experience with the game), or spend more time grinding to build up levels.

Also, some basic advice for the mage:
1) Have a plan. Pick a theme for your mage and stick with it. Specialized mages seem to do better in the game than well rounded mages. A specialized mage will have some areas that are harder for it but overall the advantage of staying in your lane, so to speak, win out. For example, a fire mage might struggle in fire areas but will be very effective in ice areas as any other areas where creatures are weak against fire (trolls, undead).

2) Mana is life. A mage without magic points is a dead mage. Keep a few potions in stock (Deepfrost Cognac is your friend in the early game). Also, equipment and skills that add magic points make a huge difference. Sometimes even a few extra magic points makes the difference between sneaking in one or two more high damage spells.

3) Have a high and low mana use attack plan. This ties into item 1. Have a go-to run-of-the-mill attack idea that is low mana use plus a go-to high damage attack. That allows you do some decent damage output without consistently using your highest mana draining spells. It also gives your a back up spell in case your main weapon doesn't quite kill off that monster bearing down on you. For example, pairing Bolt 3 with Fireball 1.

4) Wands OR Staves but not both. While it's possible to try to build a mage that uses both a wand and a staff, it is far better to pick one type of weapon and work with it. Wands are a bit more defensive (and allow off-hand item use such as Orbs) and Staves are a bit more offensive. Ties to item 1.

Really, it keeps coming back to Item 1. Have a plan.

So on that note, what is your plan for your mage?

Wyrm

Loreseeker
Mage was never more vulnerable for me than the other classes. Clearing the game way faster. Going for 88 quests and 100% map clear under 100 hours. At 82 quests and 75 hours now on Hard mode.

Quick tips to avoid weakness. Use 0 strength points, never use points on Dungeoneering/Recovery/Gossip, mage armor is most important to max out and boost with Mage Barrier, preserve mana and get mana surge skill, wand with orb build give more adaptability, max lesser summoning, get Fire bomb but no need to go past level 2.

Don't forget to ALWAYS pick up rss everywhere. Orchids, weed, Tesur etc. The potions they make save money and time. Stay friends with Varannari and collect wolf pelts. Have them on you to sell on roadsides.

Everytime you travel between places fight the roadside traps and camps. Your mage should have high INT so doing this grind while questing boosts levels fast.

Good luck

p4ran0id

Staff member
Mage is hard till lvl 10. With higher level its really easy to play. Rogue as archer build is way harder to manage

Xen

Loreseeker
It never get hard for me using a mage so I can't suggest a solution, what I can tell you is utilize your companion, make your companion wait in a distance then attack first, when an enemy almost reach you run and let your companion get the aggro then continue attacking, if your companion dies attack once then cast a spell immediately(lightning only).