Having a hard time deciding between Magma Shortsword and Breastplate of the Forge.

Terantatek

So before I am done with the topic, does everyone think I should get the breastplate and not shortsword?

VDX_360

Staff member
Duck123":1qs6s1b6 said:
... have found the magma shortsword many times ..
You might be confusing the Magma Shortsword (light) with the Magma Longsword (hand) or Sword of Flames (hand). The Magma Shortsword is only attainable two ways: Fort Assault quest or from the Warrior's Guild merchant. For non-members of the Warriror's Guild, the Fort Assault is the only way to get that weapon.

VDX_360

Staff member
Terantatek":1uyrzr7j said:
...would it work if I just used fire resist potion on her in areas with a couple pieces of meh fire resist gear? Saying like 50 or so fire res pre-final endgame bosses.

That depends. Player build, player preference, the total amount of elemental damage at play (a bunch of ice dealing enemies in a dungeon, or one lone ghost dealing death damage etc).

In areas with a ton of elemental damage, using BOTH equipment and resist potions really adds up. In areas with a little bit of damage, a resist potion might take the edge off and not impact game play much (might need to heal a little more). Using potions in lieu of equipment allows you to select equipment based on overall appeal (defense, stat bonus, attributes) rather than resistance values.

First, if you're not familiar with how element resistance works, you can brush up on the calculations on the Wiki here: http://exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/index.ph ... esistances

Second, using resist potions (25% or 40%) by themselves will reduce element damage by 25% or 40%, which quickly adds up in a long dungeon. Since those potions only last a minute, it will take a few to clear a dungeon. It can get expensive to be potion heavy, esp if you're using the 40% ones.

Third, using resist equipment WITHOUT potions can get you a resist value of 40 to 70 pretty easily in the early to mid-game (depending on equipment), blocking 40% to 60% which adds up quite nicely in long dungeons. That value can reach over 110 by the late game (better rings, shields, amulets etc). And at 110, you block 75% of element damage.

Fourth, using resist equipment WITH potions can easily get into 65 to 110 range, (blocking 62% to 75% damage) in the early to mid-game. Those values go up to 130 to 150 range by the late game ( blocking 80% to 85%). Pretty nice reduction.

VDX_360

Staff member
Terantatek":3eu0dq3q said:
... does everyone think I should get the breastplate and not shortsword?

After reviewing this thread, I think I'm going to suggest you grab the Magma Shortsword. Given you status as a new player, your build preference, and where you are in the game, I think you will enjoy the Magma Shortsword with your Rogue. And the game really is about having fun and not getting into a mental pretzel over equipment choices.

Grissenda can wear several decent fire resist equipment that will make up for the lack of the Breastplate of the Forge. Besides, if you she KO's in a dungeon, she pops back up a few seconds later, making her a little more expandable. Just bring along a few fire resist potions for her in a boss fight.

So go with the Magma Shortsword. You won't regret it and you'll have fun with it.

Owns

Loreseeker
VDX_360":3a8bg7la said:
Terantatek":3a8bg7la said:
... does everyone think I should get the breastplate and not shortsword?
So go with the Magma Shortsword. You won't regret it and you'll have fun with it.
A very valid point. It's true you can get decent fire resistance from other pieces. Gauntlets of the forge are sold in Lannegar, Goblin LIzardskin Boots are an easy drop in Lannegar Valley (area and mine) and wherever there are goblins, fire resist rings also sold by merchants and better ones found in certain dungeons, Charred buckler is decent and not too hard to get, until you obtain either of Red Leather Buckler or Red Leather Shield. If you miss the breastplate then the only other good option for Body until the late-game is Lionskin Cuirass but there's only one of those. Again though fire resistance is easy to come by and you'll be able to manage.

I agree with VDX here, if you really want the Magma shortsword then just go for it, you'll be fine.

Terantatek

Ok tyvm everyone. I appreciate it. If the Flaming Warhammer does as much damage as the shortsword I might just consider going that route though tbh. I didn't know that was an option. Unless that 1 less fire damage is a big difference. But then again youd think that 6-8 physical would make up for it maybe.

Owns

Loreseeker
Terantatek":2czdmj82 said:
Ok tyvm everyone. I appreciate it. If the Flaming Warhammer does as much damage as the shortsword I might just consider going that route though tbh. I didn't know that was an option. Unless that 1 less fire damage is a big difference. But then again youd think that 6-8 physical would make up for it maybe.
The difference between them is very small, almost negligible. The only other thing I'd say to keep in mind is that it might be a while until you get the Flaming Warhammer, probably around level 13 or so. The biggest advantage to Magma Shortsword imo is that it gives you one of the best weapons in the game, quite early in the game. It'll give you a boost in that sense. But if you don't mind the wait until Flaming Warhammer, the difference is small. In the end, most decisions in this game won't be too consequential. It's more a matter of preference and some choices make a lot more sense than others depending on your class and build. Either choice you make will not end up having a huge impact on you so don't get too caught up, and in this specific case it's really a win-win for you. Either choice will be good. If you wait long enough, even the Breastplate will become obsolete (albeit longer than you'll wait until you get the hammer). As VDX said, it's more important that you enjoy the game.

Xen

Loreseeker
I actually going to agree for Magma Shortsword, but then again you said you're using Grissenda and for that i'm assuming you'll go sooner in Gorx Lair than other dungeons which really needs fire weapon so if you use Grissenda as a tank you need some resistance for her to be an effective tank in the early game and you can also save some gold to spend for other necessities rather than buying a platemail. A +20 fire resistance armor is a good boon for an early game warrior even if it is a companion because there are many fire elemental dungeons in early game such as Gorx Lair, Lannegar Mine(Firedancer Itharak), The Flame Pits, and also the Mausoleum. Aside from that you're already using a flame dirk and elemental damage doesn't apply in your Stab skill, a Deathclaw shortsword or Stiletto are good alternatives for Magma Shortsword at the moment so you don't have a problem dealing elemental damage in the early game.