Having a hard time deciding between Magma Shortsword and Breastplate of the Forge.

Xen

Loreseeker
I can affirm that breastplate is the better choice because you are using Grissenda as a companion and you are a melee rogue with a Flaming Dirk, there are better options for a light weapon and you can also use the Flaming Warhammer BTW. For Grissenda it is better if you give her a longsword for higher damage output since Grissenda doesn't have Duel and Flurry you can't capitalize the fast damage output from light weapons.

Xen

Loreseeker
Magma Shortsword can be bought if you are a member of Warrior's Guild, otherwise you can only acquire one in the quest Fort Assault.

Terantatek

I thought so, like I said earlier I'm gonna join Seventh House for Assassinate skill so there's no 2nd chance. So you can see my dilemma XD. I understand this game is about choices, but dang this is a hard one for me lol.

Owns

Loreseeker
Terantatek":3k69p6ed said:
Just looked up the flaming warhammer. It looks great! Is it one hand or two hand?
It is a Light weapon, all hammers are. So yes, 1-handed and Light

Terantatek

Alright then. It looks to be as good as the magma shortsword if I'm not mistaken. So it should be a good route to take if I dont get the shortsword it seems. Is the 1 less fire damage much of an issue? I'll be using the flaming dirk with it.

I'm on Normal.

Owns

Loreseeker
Xen":3kl8uvx6 said:
For Grissenda it is better if you give her a longsword for higher damage output since Grissenda doesn't have Duel and Flurry you can't capitalize the fast damage output from light weapons.
Not sure I agree with this, about the damage output. Even without Duel and Flurry Grissenda can do better damage with Light weapons than 1-hand depending on the build. With my Mage I use a balanced Strength/Agility build for Grissenda and she has higher DPS using Light weapons. That said, I do agree if he will be a melee rogue then Grissenda should use 1-hand weapons (long swords, axes, or maces) so that they’re not both needing the same type of weapons

Owns

Loreseeker
Terantatek":tpq8nai5 said:
Is the 1 less fire damage much of an issue? I'll be using the flaming dirk with it.
Not really that much of a difference.

On another note, and again this is my own opinion, I know that some players might do it differently. For mage and rogue classes, you will rely on Grissenda for you to achieve maximum damage output safely, so she needs to be strong. You can't flank during a fight if she's 'dead'. For that, I recommend giving her some of the Ancient Tolassian Tomes you will find, since companions only gain 1 trait point and 1 skill point per level (unlike the player who gains 2 or 3 per level). Maybe not all the Tomes, since the game will force you to play some parts solo, but I like to give her 8 or so by level 20, probably a few more by level 25. My ideal mage build would give Grissenda at least half the Tomes but Rogue might need more of the tomes for the final bits of the game, not sure. That's a rough number, I haven't bothered optimizing it yet for how many she (or you) would exactly need for a perfect build, just something for you to keep in mind.