Mage Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmart

VOSTOK":3olzrm9q said:
I will recommend to drop one point to endurance to get little more HP that will be enough to survive undetected spike traps or traps on the bridge that can not be avoided. For me this +1 to endurance really helped a lot. I had 65 HP, spikes hit me like 71. Now I have 75 that gives me chance for mistake.

how about getting the other elemental summons and the summoner skill what does it gives?

hammerfyll

After playing mostly offensively with lightning and disintegrate, I decided to respec and maximize the iron golem. All I can say is, sweet tap dancing christ. I will admit, maxing lesser summon, earth master AND summoner really limits your available skill points, but it's so damn tough it more than makes up for it.

RougeRogue

That sounds great. I was thinking of starting a new mage character and spec him for summoning, so hearing how much fun it'll be really ups the motivation to go through the beginning quests again :)

I've been fully speccing for wands atm. The mage armour with mage barrier plus the 2m knock back of a fully upgraded wand means most guys are ready to die by the time they finally reach me.
it's great for corridors or other places you can bottleneck mobs.

The only problem is wands seem a little poor against larger bosses, so im thinking half wand / half stave will be the better balance.

This class is brilliant though. The choices you make on equipment and potions really matter, so it's much more (frustrating) fun to play.

Thanks for a great update, David.

VDX_360

Staff member
RougeRogue":vtzzax14 said:
im thinking half wand / half stave will be the better balance
It seems half-wand / half-stave will suffer the same issues as warriors who try to be both Shield Experts and Two-Hand Experts. In theory, it sounds like a great way to switch between weapons depending on need, but in reality, by mid-game, really starting to feel the drawback.

Using staff to cause slow and than a wand with knock back is one tactic being explored.

More enemies are vulnerable to slow than knock back and bosses that are immune to stun can still be slowed.

RougeRogue

Possibly, although atm my lvl 17 mage seems less reliant on secondary skills than the other classes, at least for my wand/stave build. I can see a summoner build being the opposite.

Mod note: Deleted full quote. To keep forum neat and orderly, try to avoid full quotes when the reply will do.

VDX_360

Staff member
With the fixes in today's update, it will be curious to see how game play is effected. Ice Storm seems to work now (or at least works better). And if the collision issue is resolve, spell casting in dungeons won't fail so much.

Let me know how the Wand / Staff build works. I've been tempted to try it out.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VDX_360":28xnbphd said:
With the fixes in today's update, it will be curious to see how game play is effected. Ice Storm seems to work now (or at least works better). And if the collision issue is resolve, spell casting in dungeons won't fail so much.

Remember only testers have it so far, I still have to load all the translations and do a few more fixes before making it public. It should take a week or less, but I might introduce more changes.

KYTX

Translator
VDX_360":37wxuv5b said:
Yes and no.

Most of the top tier items drop in the Arc or Sewer of Horrors, both areas added with the Mage class. So you can still get top tier mage stuff later.

But certain pieces from one time loot chests from chests you've already cleared, or from already completed quests, than yeah, a pre-mage game file will miss out on those items.

Note, as you point out, the equipment issues will only impact those who want to collect one of everything (not sure where they're putting it) and those that want to gather stuff for the idea there might be a Mage companion added some time in the future.

I also have a couple of playthroughs with Warrior and Cleric only about lvl 5 or so. Haven't done any big dungeons or bosses. Should I restart them or will juicy mage loot be available in those playthroughs? In other words, do those new items get spawned in the beginning of a new game or they will get spawned when I enter the actual dungeon or something?

Vesanan

VDX_360":17iize1u said:

Lol would be nice to see ice storm not launch behind me for once. Actually I'm using lighting bolt and fire ball right now. I really liked ice storm it's what I wanted to use at first and in dungeons I'd still say it's the most cost efficient offensive spell, it's mana cost is low you can have up to two going at once and it hits multiple times if your solo or just have your companion on passive (won't attack enemy's) it works nice....in dungeons or any narrow spaces. With the update I just got on ios beefing up lighting bolt I might swap fire ball back to ice storm I like the idea of a storm mage. Also there is one thing I've been doing my self with staff and wands. I'm specd for staff dmg but I usually start a dungeon with wand and orb spend as much mana as I can blasting baddies then when low on mana but not hp swap to staff, then back to wand and orb before I use recovery, only an extrah cast or two though.

Status
Not open for further replies.