Mage Discussion Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZhonLB

Comrades,
Im a lvl10 mage (Grissenda companion) and i want your feedback on my first choice when defeated the Orc Fort. Arcane pendant for the mage or Breastplate of the forge for Grissenda?

toopa

Translator
ZhonLB":1v7vx9hp said:
Comrades,
Im a lvl10 mage (Grissenda companion) and i want your feedback on my first choice when defeated the Orc Fort. Arcane pendant for the mage or Breastplate of the forge for Grissenda?

If I were you I'd take the Magma Shortsword (especially if your Grissenda is a 1H warrior) or Ring of Life. The Pendant and Breastplate are okay, but there are many similar alternatives throughout the game. Ring of Life and the Sword are kinda unique and can't be replaced by many other items. The good thing about ring of life is that it adds 20 HP without any trait bonus. That means you won't run in trouble if you have two items that add the same trait, as trait bonuses won't stack. The +20 Toxic resistance isn't seen every day on a ring either (correct me if I'm wrong). The Magma Shortsword is pretty strong and will be your best 1H weapon for quite some time. I'm level 23 and still haven't found a better 1H sword with fire ability (I changed my Grissenda to a 2H build though, she deals way more damage that way).

toopa

Translator
deadcorpze":1puu4u9l said:
Also if u could point me to where I could get a very nice leggings. I've been using breeches of the mad wizard since lv 9
I feel like the game lacks Leggings and Boots, I still wear the crappy old ones and I finished the game and most stories. I guess you aren't the only one with that problem.

deadcorpze

Thanks VDX. I found the black silk leggings and also the staff of the traveller, cloak of dark fate and tunic of the lightning priest. I can't believe I went into the ark without these items :cry:

deadcorpze

After farming enough gold for the altar, I think I got all the skill points obtainable and it is probably the right time now to plunge into my doom inside the sewer of horrors. I finished it once with my cleric but its a very different scenario with them because of their godlike skill battle prayer, which proved to be ez even on hard mode. Once again, I ask divine guidance from the veteran players. Here are my stats,

My skillsets are: lightnight bolt 4, mage armor 4, staff mastery 4, lesser summoning 2, mana surge 2, earth mastery 3, summoner 3, mage barrier 3, arcanist 3, total of 52 skill points

If u can offer me a more efficient and effective build for hard I'd be grateful. I think I have enough gold for resets. Tia

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I did it with mage (wand) but not on hard; of course Grissenda is a must, and the L.18 Iron Golem makes things much easier as well. The most important thing is a good weapon selection for each enemy type, and you got it covered it seems.

QuickBen

I’ve been playing EK since before clerics were released. As an old-school DnD fan, I think you hit the mark with the mage class. Last night I completed the ark for the first time - lvl 22 wand mage on Normal. It was quite a challenge, very little room for error and very satisfying to finally complete the main quest! Thanks for such a great game! The effort you have put into it is impressive and appreciated.

My strategy was to take it very slow, methodically trying to pull off enemies so that I was only ever facing one at a time. After each kill I would top up my health and mana with potions so that I was fully prepared for the next fight. I had to re-start the final level about five times before finally succeeding.

With spiders I got near enough to make them agro, hit them with one Lighting Bolt IV. Let them run into my Mage Barrier III which would kill them. Then quickly run away to avoid fire damage. When done correctly, I barely took any damage. Not getting out of the blast zone, however, would nearly kill me…

Wizards were very tough at first, but became manageable after running the first level of the ark quite a few times. After getting a Tesla Emmitter and changing up some gear resulting in a lower Shock res, but a higher Spirit res they became easier to handle. I got stunned less often, and could usually survive even if I did get stunned.

Droids were scary, but fun! Getting stunned by them was usually a death sentence. By the time I knew where they were placed on the map, I had also found all the secret rooms which allowed me to avoid the final fight. I tried facing the horror once, but that ended horribly. I am not sure my mage could win that fight. Thus, I went for a resolution using my mind rather than my might.

Status
Not open for further replies.