Weapon stats

Joe Simon

This may be irrelevant because so far in battle I'm not sure I can tell a difference, but I have to pick between two weapons, one does about 2 DPS more and one does +4 extra damage when enemy is at 30% what's the general consensus on weapon preference? Thx

Atomos

TL:DR
When choosing weapon, you must consider:
1. Type (light, hand, 2h)
2. Base damage
3. Speed
4. Critical
5. Elemental damage
6. Additional bonuses(like vicious)

Explaination:
You probably want to use reliable weapon, so:
Ad 1: this will allow you to use specific skills, that your character learned
Ad 2: this will determine how well you can penetrate armor, how big will the critical hit be, and it has the biggest influence on DPS
Ad 3: important for DPS (not really helpful against armor), and stunning or other effects your hits can have
Ad 4: determines how often you can deal extra damage, but it's not very reliable, that's why it has fourth spot
Ad 5: good when cleaving, good when the enemy is weak against it, useless when the enemy is immune, and harmful when the damage is absorbed!
Ad 6: Additional bonuses have specific conditions for activating. Those are nice to have, but you'll rarely have use for those

Kuratha

Staff member
I'm guessing you're playing a warrior?

I agree with Atomos. Most of these things will start playing a bigger role later in-game as hp/armor differences start to not become reflective as a player's would. So understanding them earlier is better :D

Some thing explained:
*A higher base weapon attack helps to 'penetrate' armor. (e.g. 2H axe, 8-13 dmg vs a 1h axe, 5-8 dmg +3 fire dmg).
What'll be 'better' depends on many things but as a general rule mostly is dependent on what enemy you're facing.
*A higher attack speed tends to lead to a higher DPS, as weapon dmg value ranges aren't widespread, with more chances to apply status effects, critical hits.
*An enemies elemental/racial resistance can influence what weapon you use. (e.g vicious- applies to all enemies, orc-killer- applies to only orcs.)
*Damage buffs tend to increase general damage.

Keep up the good work bro~!

Joe Simon

I think for the most part an ongoing 2 extra DPS is going to work a little better than +4 damage when the enemy is at 30% health. Usually if you can get a monster down to 30% you're doing good anyways.