Spam on forum

marcelofg55

Hi, can something be done about the forum spammers? It's getting a bit annoying, maybe implement captcha or something for the registration?

Thanks!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
There is already a captcha, and blacklists, and all the other regular measures... I am afraid all forums get this level of spam or worse :(

Sadly, captchas stopped being efficient when someone invented the "human farms".

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
No, the spam bots don't understand captchas. But they trick a human somwehere else in the internet to answer to it. They create websites that asks for captchas to access downloads or similar, and thousands of people will be there doing the job for the bots.

Great idea, but I wish no one ever had it :p

marcelofg55

That's actually smart -_-

Is it possible to make that the first post of members needs approval? This could solve it I guess.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't want to "raise barriers" for people to register, but sadly, I think it is inevitable. From now on, new registrations require admin activation. I just hope Karma one day works, for spammers ;)

TimothySach

It sucks that someone can't just come, register and ask a question. But having the forum flooded with spam is worse, agreed.

Not to mention... I once found here spam which was NSFW.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I believe I found a way to prevent most of the spambots around (a few custom questions at registration). If I see the bots are not able to go past them, I will again remove the admin activation step.

Of course nothing can stop human spammers, but I don't think we have to worry about that until this place has a lot more traffic, and by then, I'll find better countermeasures.

Thanks everyone for your patience.