The Perception Question!

BronzeDaggerSurgeon

Hello everyone! First post here and I just wanna say... this game is - the STUFF.
It looks old school, sounds old school and even though we *currently* have to play it on a touchpad, it FEELS Old school. And that's a good thing(in my opinion)! so all you guys and gals in development, loreseekers, translators and everyone contributing to this classic game -

thank you. Keep up the good work <3

With that off my chest, I have a mechanics question:
I keep seeing mentions of "chance to find hidden items". I ran into that first when reading the description for the cleric skill "thelume's wisdom", then I've seen it a couple times more somewhere on the EK wiki and also in-game.
Now, I get that the perception chance(awareness, intellect, dungeoneering ) enables me to find secret doors and traps. And that thelume's wisdom bumps that chance up to 75% for a very short duration.
But what are those "hidden items"? dose it have to do with some interactive statues/switches/doors?
like the poison gas "off" switch in Irazur, or the statue in new garand sewers?
Does it have any effect on item drops maybe? Is this feature not yet implemented in the game?
Or do I have it all wrong and "hidden items" is actually another name for traps and secret doors?

**moved this post from older thread "lesser known game mechanics**

brissenden

Translator
An orc, a troll, a green and a red dragon and an invisible swampdonkey... Jesus, this forum is the most tolerate forum in the world.

Hidden items include:
traps, secret doors and dialogue options, often with trait requirements and maybe gossip results.

Most statues and lewers for traps and etc. have trait requirments, AWA and INT mostly, and are not marked as secrets. Perception bumps your chance to find these traps, secret doors, and gossip results, but only secret doors count as a secret, others are just hidden items.

BronzeDaggerSurgeon

LoLz
Can't wait 2 find that invisible swampdonkey!
Hope I can have him as a companion...
I need a pack-mule desperately :cry:

Tnx a bunch!

VDX_360

Staff member
Even if you FIND the Invisible Swap Donkey, you don't have a chance of beating it without equipping the Hide of the Undermother, Flame Pendant, the Bishop's Ring and the Crown of Tol all at the same time. Pro-tip, when the Donkey attacks, let your companion get turned to stone.

Grim Rapper

VDX_360":7kpcclag said:
Even if you FIND the Invisible Swap Donkey, you don't have a chance of beating it without equipping the Hide of the Undermother, Flame Pendant, the Bishop's Ring and the Crown of Tol all at the same time. Pro-tip, when the Donkey attacks, let your companion get turned to stone.

Wait, it's a real thing?! There's a enemy called Swamp Donkey somewhere in the game?!

Whelp, time to hunt again~ >:D

VDX_360

Staff member
Grim Rapper":3f96vld2 said:
Wait, it's a real thing?! There's a enemy called Swamp Donkey somewhere in the game?! Whelp, time to hunt again~ >:D
Well... define "real." I mean if enough people pressure David, he MIGHT put on in the game just as an easter egg..... Also, one can't normally equipment the Bishop's Ring and the Crown of Tol at the same time (you give the later to get the first.