Poverty... Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedrinho

Translator
A long, looong time ago, I played Baldur's Gate on a "Poverty" mode. The idea is well known by hardcore RPG players, but here it goes anyway: the goal is to play (or try) the game using no money at all (except when some ammount of gold is needed for quest solving), using only stuff dropped by enemies or given by NPCs. No steal, no buying, no trading.

I wonder if has anyone already tried it on EK, somehow..

Obviously, for an EK poverty run, there would be some differences, cuz it seems impossible; but with some adaptations and concessions, the core idea should be tried - preferably by someone with lots of free time and patience - what is not my case, definitely.

But it would be nice to see some tales told here on the forum about a poor warrior defeating some dragons...

Anyone?

SirDonkalot

I see where you come from, even tho i didnt play the game Baldurs Gate.

After my last Ironman bit the dust in a dialouge i was thinking about adding some new challenge in the new playthrough.
If you would do a no gold or shop challenge in EK i think it would become dicy at the point where you need to buy some healing potions even for non Irons. These seem kinda rare. (maybe a Cleric or a distant fighter would help)
For Armor Upgrades , the shops are not really important actually.

A time ago the Forum played out a challenge where you were not allowed to kill any enemy in order to progress.

My ideas are
-doing a playthrough without getting any companions offically, but that would block some important questlines with. (you could just dismiss them afterwards i guess)
-doing a playthrough were you try to become an Arch Enemy in Vasillia ( that was my next plan if i would not have died) by accepting and not doing any Townhall quests. Not sure if David coded some event in for that :D but nothing would surprise me here anymore.

VDX_360

Staff member
SirDonkalot":19zsfvrs said:
-doing a playthrough without getting any companions offically, but that would block some important questlines with. (you could just dismiss them afterwards i guess)
Earlier this year, I did a quest-less game. Got to Level 16 without completing a single quest or activating any quests (other than the one game starts with). A questless game is a companion-less game because it takes a quest to get each companion.

Because those characters have no quests, they are pretty much in limbo to just start playing the start with an insane advantage. A Level 16 warrior could knock out all the early and mid-game without breaking a sweat.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
With regard to the original poverty idea, I suppose the toughest part will be the first few levels, where you usually invest that bit of money earned from goblin and wolf hunting into some starter equipment from the Lannegar merchant. If you are not allowed to do this, I guess it will take a while until you have enough useful armor drops to prepare yourself for some tougher areas and dungeons.

But once this is accomplished, I see no real obstacle to managing the game without buying anything. I usually never buy any potions or scrolls anyway (only using dropped ones) and get along quite decently. I know that there are other players out there following the same strategy, so potions shouldn't be a problem at all.

The main question for me is: Would it be allowed to buy advanced skills? If not, then I suppose it really gets though at higher levels, although not impossible.

pedrinho

Translator
SirDonkalot":2o4umde5 said:
I see where you come from, even tho i didnt play the game Baldurs Gate.

I thought before quoting you: " I wont encourage him to play BG, cuz it will make him abandone every other games he is playing now, including EK..."
But given that even David already mentioned BG here on forum, I wont feel bad on doing this: MAN, GO PLAY THE BALDUR GATE'S SAGA!
Or, better yet: if you dont have enough free time to play BG, ignore that saga and, instead, jump directly to the BEST GAME EVER:
PLANESCAPE TORMENT!!!!! (Of course, if you didnt play it yet lol).
These games are huge, and not suitable for mobile (I dont recomend playing the Android or iOS versions on less than 10" screens), and this is the main reason I choose EK as my game of choice when not in front of my PC - in other words, imho EK is the best mobile RPG, hands down.

Edit: regarding poverty: as I said, the idea would need to be adapted in many ways (for example, to allow the player to use money to rest).
And since my lvl 20 rogue has already done all quests and waiting for updates, I will give poverty a try, with a fresh cleric build (for obvious reasons).

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I never intended games to be played "forever", I believe in games you play for some time (preferably a long time) then switch to another. Otherwise we'd all still be playing the first game we tried. BG and BG2 are great games, as are many others, go check them!

SirDonkalot

Ok, now you two got me curious about those games that seem to be a gem. I have to atleast check it out now on how they "feel".

I really feel tickled by those games that have the element of chess in it, with some planing ahead or creating an individual build, combine that with your typical RPG game, where the pawn becomes the hero that shows progress in power and look. Add in some flawless hack and slay feeling diablo2 like where the pawn attacks the king in an exicting showdown and music and give it a very hard difficulty on top of that so every step feels like huge process and its perfect :mrgreen:

The game before EK that had me hooked up was Kingturn for mobile. you could say the ingridents were the same, just the tension of it different. While Kingturn is focused more on the strategie part with less tension on the execution part , so is EK the nice counterpart where the hack and slay + story part really shines, but still has the strategic Element in it

pedrinho

Translator
Well, being myself a chess player (average club player, nothing special), I prefer strategic over slash-style - and thats why I always play archers... Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.