Mount Storme/Storme Castle

turboexpress

Alan_SP":1d4zmvqu said:
Also, when I started playing (see my registration date), the world was much, much smaller. So, I really can't say that anyone is "cheated" in any way, even if you think so.

I never said anyone was cheated in any way. You made that up.
The game is great and endless. All I was saying is that eventually we will all get to the point where we want to go to places I mentioned. I read in many parts of the forum that a new game is being made and we might never see those areas of the map.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
turboexpress":3bog2aqw said:
I never said anyone was cheated in any way. You made that up.
The game is great and endless.

Well, first of all, I wrote you think so (please, check what I have written). And I came to this conclusion because you wrote: Everything that we see on world map should be included in the game. Otherwise what's the point?

I tried to explain "what's the point".

You can build world by creating whole world at once and then build it from ground up. populating it with more detail. It is the way David started, giving himself enough room for future content.

Or, as you implicitly suggest, he should build first only one tile (piece of world map), then another, and another as time passes by. In this case, we and David never would have "whole world" available. And I think that David develops EK for about 4 years now.

So, considering this, David went with much easier, logical and in the end better way to build EK's world.

Also, we all need to be aware that EK's world is not endless, even if EK is great game.

I think that many of us are a bit spoiled with almost three years long constant game development with numerous content and area additions, but it all needs to have some sort of end, even if we don't want so. And I know that we don't want so.

Anyhow, EK now is huge game, with many, many different areas, with many wonderful places, dungeons, forests, mountains, castles, etc. In a way, I would almost go to say it si "too big", certainly much bigger than many games produced by much bigger companies.

I expect that average player on first run would need 120-150 hours to finish EK (or maybe even more). I see games that brag about 20-30 hours of gameplay, pointing it out as their "advantage". Well, EK puts them all to shame.

And this is point behind my answer to you.

I'm sorry if I came out too brush to you, but you also sounded a bit same to me.

p4ran0id

Staff member
turboexpress":30zbbamj said:
Alan_SP":30zbbamj said:
Also, when I started playing (see my registration date), the world was much, much smaller. So, I really can't say that anyone is "cheated" in any way, even if you think so.

I never said anyone was cheated in any way.

change "is cheated" with "was betrayed" ;)

The map gives you possibility for your imagination, there's no need for perfection

Xen

Loreseeker
IMHO it can somewhat kill the game when the development stop without finishing the promised content, but I really understand David and he is right about he can't sell the same game for all of his life.

Development takes many years to complete and he is the sole developer of it no one helps him with the job so we should bear with him, also EK is not a cash grub game so we should be thankful that David is putting his time and effort to give us enjoyment in life for a lesser fine (It is bigger than what its price tag can sustain, especially it is in IOS and Android mobile platform).

It is also hard to make concept for the quests. Anime titles and some nobles takes a week just to make one episode and it takes almost a decade to finish the whole story. Imagine if something same as that will only be done with just one person, it can give so much stress to finish and it is easier to lose ideas because it is only one mind. BTW it is better to do things solo when making a story/noble as it will make things synchronize and in order, and don't forget that he may still add contents to EK after putting a year of work to the new game.

turboexpress

I guess yeah, the world map in the game could be left up for imagination i suppose. Sorry for misunderstanding Alan.

VDX_360

Staff member
As noted above, having non-playing areas of content allows for smoother expansion. It also allows a more complete world, from a role-playing perspective. To use the aforementioned orc kingdom as an example, orcs are clearly in the game, but the game doesn't have a back story that directly deals with where they come from. So, insert Orc Kingdom on the map, and presto plot point mostly resolved. Orcs come from the Orc kingdom, and makes raids, advanced forwarding bases, into the other kingdoms.

Even if we could hold a Devourer to the developer's feet to make more content, it's not clear how that new content would fit into existing game. Balanced games require balanced content. The world is already pretty big (70 to 100 hours of game play easily). And there's already so much content that even rushing through it, makes a pretty over powered build by the end of the game (Level 18 to Level 20 at Arc without any grinding, farming or Town Hall Quests). So adding content in the mid-levels would result in a lot of content that would be too low for the player, but adding content at the upper levels might require changing the arcs difficulty, and re-assessing what's the end-of-game super dungeon. (The Sewers of Horrors isn't that bad right now).

VDX_360

Staff member
Speaking of the Orc Kingdoms:

Are the Orc's a product of that made humans?